Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Sugar Land

After four days at the seashore, I drive north toward Galveston Island. I had found a free beach camp at Freeport with my AllStays app, but when I got there, I found it was too sandy for Minnie. So I drove over to Quintana Beach County Park and paid for a space with hookups. It was a nice park, but the wind was still howling, so activity was limited. Hanna and I walked down to the beach, but it was full of wood debris, making it unpleasant. We pulled out the next morning and headed inland a bit toward Houston.

My cousin Cindy lives in Sugar Land (a suburb of Houston) and I had made plans to visit her while I was in the area. I stayed for two nights at Riverbend RV Park in nearby Richmond. Cindy came out to my RV Tuesday afternoon and we talked for a couple hours before going out for dinner at a nearby Mexican restaurant. On Wednesday, her husband Vernon took care of Hanna while Cindy and I went to the Museum of Natural History in downtown Houston. It’s a beautiful museum, and we really enjoyed perusing the exhibits. We spent several hours there before heading back to their house where Vernon made us a delicious steak dinner. It was a wonderful visit and we were so busy enjoying ourselves with nonstop talking, we totally forgot to take one picture of us together!

I left Richmond and drove a long day looking for a decent place to overnight. I had to go all the way to Ponchatoula where I found a great Walmart off the highway with trees surrounding the quiet parking lot. I settled in for the night.

The next day, Friday, I made it to Meaher State Park in Spanish Fort, Alabama.

2 comments:

  1. That's my biggest regret. So many times I do something or see someone in my travels and forget to take a photo. Glad your trip is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm traveling or partying especially with Chinese friends, I sometimes get frustrated by all the pictures, standing in front of some monument, or scenery. I like to just enjoy the views and live in the moment.

    But then when I get home I find I'm always glad to have the photographic mementos of the experience.

    They say that being able to delay pleasure is a form of maturity. I guess I'm still a little immature!

    ReplyDelete