Monday, April 30, 2018

Highway 380

After I left Natchez State Park, I started making my way back home. I decided to follow highways instead of interstates, and mapped out a route that would be a pretty straight shot back to Mesa. I drove about 200 miles a day, and stayed at a couple of different Army Corps of Engineering parks, which were very nice and very affordable with the senior discount. I stopped at a couple of county/state campgrounds and one private RV park. All in all, quite economical, but none were free.
Hanks Creek CG  (ACoE camp near Lufkin, TX)

Reynolds Creek CG (ACoE camp west of Waco, TX)
Lake Sweetwater at Sweetwater, TX
Bottomless Lakes State Park east of Roswell, NM

I had pretty nice weather on the way home, with the exception of gusty wind on a couple of days, and one rainy spell. I don't like driving in wind, as I have to constantly fight to keep Minnie in the middle of the lane. I don't mind a little rain as long as I don't have to set up or take down camp in it. And I actually love the sound and coziness of raindrops on the roof when I am snuggled in.

On Saturday morning, I left the small private park I was at in Springerville, AZ and headed for home by way of Payson. Just after I got outside Payson heading south on the Beeline Highway, I pulled over to catch up on text messages. Daryl and Gisele were on their way north to Blue Ridge Ranger Station to show off their new Tesla, and Dale asked me why not turn north and drive up for the day (and night). I was already on my way home, but partly because I wanted to see the new snazzy car, and partly to prove to my full-timer brothers that I can be spontaneous and flexible, I said, "What the heck," and turned around and drove up to Blue Ridge.

I went to the BR Campground and got set up in a space, had a quick lunch and drove the Fit over to the Ranger Station. I arrived just after Daryl and Gisele had pulled in, and we all ooh-ed and ahh-ed over the pretty new car, then we all got joy rides. Daryl let me drive it, and I fell in love. Why, oh why, didn't I just come on home from Payson? Teslas are expensive and now I want one!

Richard and Dianna had prepared grilled chicken lunch for everyone and we enjoyed a nice afternoon in family chatter. Daryl and Gisele left for home and I left for my camp. I packed back up the next morning, went to the Ranger Station to dump, and drove home, pulling in at about 11:30. Hanna and I are glad to be home, and will be ready for our next adventure in a few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment