Thursday, April 19, 2018

Natchez Trace Parkway

Have you ever heard the phrase “drink in the beauty”? I think whoever coined it was driving the Natchez Trace Parkway. The NTP is 444 miles of beautiful road that runs from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee, following the path travelers wore in the landscape in the late 1700s to early 1800s. Originally traversed by buffalo for hundreds of years, it became well known as a travel corridor for “Kaintucks”, working folks who floated their cash crops down the Mississippi River on wooden flatboats to Natchez or New Orleans. There they sold their goods and the boats and walked or rode horseback toward home via the Old Trace. Today, the NTP is a paved corridor that curves through cool oak, dogwood and evergreen cover, unsullied by power lines or billboards. Just trees, rock, grass, water, brush and road. William Least Heat-Moon said “...to drive the Trace, one sees that highway does not have to outrage landscape.” It's a place to drink in beauty all day long.



Following my change of plans on Monday afternoon, I drove south toward Clinton, where I stopped at the Visitor's Center and museum. The docent there gave me a personal tour and much great information and advice of places to visit as I made my way south. I gathered up the stack of maps and brochures and Hanna and I headed on down the road. We stopped at each pullout along the way where historical information was offered, and finally ended up at Rocky Springs Campground. When I pulled in, I looked for the pay station, but didn't see it, so I flagged another camper and asked where we pay. “Pay?” she said. “No, it's free! Up to fourteen days.” Wow, I drove through looking over all the vacant sites before picking the best available one, and settling in.


There is no cell signal here, but I can pick up about 15 TV stations, including all the major networks. And I've discovered if Hanna and I walk about a mile up the road to the picnic area, I can get one bar of 4G, which is enough to send and receive text messages and emails, and check my social media. I think we will stay here for a few days and drive to Port Gibson, Grand Gulf and Vicksburg in the Fit.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful places.

    Blue Highways was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read his book. He traveled in a van even more primitive than me. He just put a sleeping bag in the back and called it home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful there, isn't it? Thanks for the wonderful reminder of the area. So glad you have enjoyed your time there!

    ReplyDelete