Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Natchez State Park

On Thursday I drove up the campground road beyond the picnic area to the historic ruins of the town of Rocky Springs. The only building still standing is the church, and it is actually still in use, with services held there once a month. The rest of the town is just small bits of rubble with signs explaining what once was there.





From there, I drove into Port Gibson and went to the library to use the WiFi and update my blog. After lunch at McDonald’s, I drove back to camp to begin preparing for departure the next day. I walked around the campground later that evening and asked the camp host if there was water anywhere. She pointed to the hose at the host’s site and said I could use it. In her Mississippi accent, she warned, “The water is yeller, but it don’t hurt you none.” I didn’t need water that bad.

The next morning I pulled out and drove down the Natchez Trace Parkway. I stopped at a couple of markers, Emerald Mound - another Indian site - and Mt.Locust. Mt. Locust was a “stand” on the old Trace where travelers could get a meal and a bed for the night. The buildings were still in good condition and there was info on the slaves who worked the property and served the family.







I left the NTP just north of Natchez and drove to Natchez State Park, where I settled into the campground for two nights. The park is on a lake with two small campgrounds. It was about 70% full when I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment