Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Historical Natchez Homes

The NTP docent in Clinton had recommended touring several historical homes and mansions in the Natchez area, so I drove into town on Saturday and headed to the Natchez National Historical Park at the Melrose plantation. You can wander around the grounds and all the buildings on your own with the exception of the main house. That is only shown through guided tours. Usually costing $10, I happened to hit it on a “fee free” day, so I got a ticket for the 1:00 tour. After walking the grounds, I had time to get lunch so I went to Wendy’s for a chili baked potato and glass of water. This is the water that came out of the fountain.

Back at Melrose, the Ranger who did the tour was excellent as was the tour of the house. It is totally restored and still contains most of the original furniture. The family who built it and lived there in the 1850’s, the John McMurrans, were slave owners and the house represents that era. Following the Civil War, the McMurran’s wealth had been wiped out and they sold it to the Davis family, whose descendants lived there the next 110 years.






It was mid afternoon by then, and I made my way home to Hanna.

I woke at 3:00 am to the sound of steady hard rain on the roof, and it continued the rest of the morning, drenching everything in the campground. I drove the car over to the office to pay for another night, declaring no one wants to pack up and move out in a pouring rain.


Around noon, the rain stopped and the sun peeked through the clouds, so I drove the Fit into town again and went to the William T. Johnson House, a National Park Service Historical museum. Johnson was a slave born in 1809 and emancipated in1820. He trained as a barber and became an entrepreneur, establishing a barber shop, book store and other land holdings. He kept a detailed personal diary from 1835 until his death in 1851, which detailed life in Natchez, MS. Portions of the journal are on display, as well as much of the furniture and items from the house. It was kind of amazing to think a black man could live such a life in the Deep South from 1820-1851, and become as wealthy and educated as he was.




From there, I went up the street to Rosalie, a private pre-Civil War mansion. The tour cost $15, and was excellent, but they don’t allow photos inside. It has a fascinating history and I recommend you read it at the link above. In 1863, General Grant took possession of it and used it for Union headquarters. Nothing was harmed during their occupation.

After those two tours, I drove back along the Trace to the campground and began my preparations for heading toward home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment