Sunday, June 25, 2017

A Very Long Day

My dead battery was on my mind a good part of the night and I was awake at 4:00 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep so I got up about quarter to five. I turned Minnie around and jumped the Fit. Once that was running, I moved it to the back of the motor home and hitched it back up. Shortly after, I was on my way north to the Walmart auto department in Page.

The service guy said he had a battery, but it would be at least an hour before he could put it in. I took Hanna for a short walk and we climbed back in Minnie to have an early lunch and wait. It was 103 degrees out, so I had to turn my generator on and run the AC. Finally, the guy came out with the battery. Only after removing the old one did he notice it was the wrong size and he didn't have the correct one after all. He put my old one back in and sent me across the street to O'Reilly Auto Parts. Thank the Lord, they had one AND the nice clerk even installed it for me. I told him I would love him forever. It set me back almost $150.

I filled up with gas, swung through a free dump, and finally got on the road toward Bryce Canyon at 2:00. It was another steep haul from Page to Kanab and up and down from there to the turnoff toward Bryce. I'm not looking forward to calculating my gas mileage. It's definitely being affected by the extra weight I'm towing.

I found a nice boondock spot in the Dixie Forest just a few miles from the entrance to Bryce. It was 5:30 Utah time. I never drive that late! I was bushed, but took Hanna for a walk. The best moment of the day was when we  saw a doe with two fawns gambol across a meadow. (Of course, I didn't have my camera again!)

After that hard day, I treated myself to pancakes for supper. Doesn't maple syrup cure everything?

This is what happens when you drive 
a motorhome over a washboard road. 

4 comments:

  1. 103ยบ in Flagstaff? Whew! That is hot! I am glad you were able to get a battery replaced. Enjoy Utah and Bryce. I remember how beautiful it was from my trip with Gma and Gpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flagstaff was nice; not quite as hot as Page, where I got the battery. I've been reading Gma's journals and enjoyed her recaps of their trips with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the rest of your trip is trouble-free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pancakes and maple syrup always make me feel better! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete