Thursday, October 3, 2019

Jackson

While I was camped at Le Fleur’s Bluff campground, I did a bit of sightseeing. On Tuesday morning, I went to the Mississippi Civil Rights History Museum. Online reviews were very good, and I concurred. It’s in a beautiful building, and the exhibits are sectioned chronologically beginning with section one covering the birth of the nation to the Civil War. Section two focuses on post war Reconstruction struggles of emancipated slaves to find their way in a violent and frightening new world. The remaining five sections highlight tumultuous efforts, tragic and pivotal events and finally slow progress toward gaining the rights and privileges that the Constitution promises to citizens of all races. I spent the whole morning there and highly recommend a visit by anyone in the area.







I went back to the campground for a quick lunch, then Hanna and I drove up the Trace to check out some of the historical highlights around Jackson.




This morning, I left the campground and headed north along the Trace again toward Tupelo, the mid point of the 444 mile Parkway.










I’m now settled in a really nice forest service campground (with elec/water) at Davis Lake just south of Tupelo. I plan to be here two nights while exploring Elvis’ birthplace and a few other sights Thursday.


2 comments:

  1. I wonder if anyone backpacks overnight on the Trace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pedestrians on the Parkway, but the National Scenic Trail weaves in and out along the Trace, so maybe there. The Parkway is popular with bicyclists, and there are many bike campgrounds all along the Trace.

    ReplyDelete