Monday, September 30, 2019

Natchez

I spent two nights at Joe B. Johnson State Park just outside Hattiesburg, MS. I stayed one night here last year and liked it, so thought I’d settle in for two this time. There really is no sight seeing nearby, but I took the opportunity to catch up on laundry and shopping, and I received all the network tv channels, so watched some new fall shows both evenings. The Mississippi state parks are a pretty good deal for seniors, at just $15/night for electric/water sites. The campgrounds are typically well maintained and in nice, safe areas.




On Thursday, I drove on to Natchez State Park, which is located 10 miles north of Natchez, MS and just a mile off the Trace. I paid for three nights in Campground B and found a very nice site (26).  The campground was about 75% full over the weekend, but by Sunday evening, there were just four of us in the ~30 spaces. One evening we walked over two miles up the Campground A and back, and the next evening we walked down to Natchez Lake.


 I revisited some of the sights in Natchez that I had toured last year, including Melrose, William Johnson House, and the Natchez National Historic Park and Visitor Center. On Saturday, I drove north along the Trace, stopping at several of the NTP sites, then visiting Grand Gulf Military Park, Port Gibson, and the Windsor Ruins. I had seen all these spots last year but enjoyed going through them again.

In the Grand Gulf Military Museum
Windsor Ruins






Monday morning I packed up and drove the Parkway north to Jackson, where I set up in LeFleur’s Bluff State Park Campground. I was assigned site 4, but when I got there someone else had overstayed their reservation and was still occupying the site. I called the office and asked if I could back into site 1 (which was actually a bit nicer and facing Mayes Lake) and she said I could. I’ve got my AC going and picked up 35 TV stations, so I’m set for a couple of nights.



2 comments:

  1. Did you walk part way on the Sunken Trace or was it too hot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walked a few feet in it, but yes, it was very hot. I had walked a bit farther last year when it was much cooler.

    ReplyDelete