Monday, September 23, 2019

Celebration Weekend at Gulf Shores

We arrived at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Alabama on Thursday afternoon. This is a very large state park campground, with nearly 500 sites. The park is immaculately maintained with roomy sites, and plenty of trees, grass and water (a lake as well as the seashore). Hanna and I walked around several of the loops, and settled in for the evening.



The next morning, I met Wendy and Denny for breakfast and catch up chatter. I decided to make a drive out to Fort Morgan that afternoon. Online reviews said the site was dog friendly, including the museum, so Hanna was excited to join me. Situated out on the end of Mobile point peninsula, the wind really howled, but we walked all around the grounds, checking out many batteries and magazine areas, lighthouse ruins, as well as the museum. The fort was active during the early 1800s and under the control of Confederate forces during the Civil War, when it was surrendered back to the US government in August 1864. It was once again an active military fort during WWII, serving as an ordinance depot. In 1947, it was deeded to the state of Alabama, and became a historical park.












I went to Wendy & Denny’s condo for an evening visit. The next morning, I did a few chores, and ran into Target for a couple of items. The anniversary party began at 4:00, and I enjoyed a wonderful celebration with friends and family of the happy couple. I got back to my camp just about bedtime.








The next day, I did preparations for my next leg of my journey: starting the Natchez Trace Parkway. I went back to the condo in the afternoon for leftover party food and the Cardinals’ football game. At 7:00, I said goodbye to my friends and headed back to Hanna and Minnie. I pulled out of the campground the next morning at 10:00, and drove to Paul Johnson State Park near Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where I checked into a nice site for two nights.

1 comment:

  1. You are having a great time on your trip and seeing lots of historical places. One of the things that I fondly remember from my AT hike is walking through place after place of Revolutionary and Civil War history.

    ReplyDelete