Thursday, April 19, 2018

Gulf Coast Excursions

The first few days were just a build up to the two day trips we took later in the week. On Wednesday, we had bigger plans.

I was concerned about leaving Hanna locked up alone in Minnie for an 8-10 hour day, so Wendy made arrangements to board all three dogs at a nice doggie day care kennel near them. We dropped them off just after 8:00 and headed east to Pensacola, and the National Naval Aviation Museum and home of the Blue Angels. We arrived in plenty of time to get great seats in the bleachers to watch the aviators' practice demo. It was an awe inspiring performance. I don't know when the last time I saw the Blue Angels perform was, but I know it has been many decades. Following the show, we went to get lunch while allowing the crowd at the museum to thin out. When we got back, the parking lot was ¾ empty, and we enjoyed about three hours in the uncrowded museum. We got back to pick up the dogs just before 6:00, and they were happy to see us. Hanna and I went home to crash for the night.




We got a later mid-morning start on Thursday, and drove down to Gulf Shores. That's about a 50 minute drive from the Allyn's, and we marveled at the magnificent resorts along the water front on our way to “The Gulf”, one of Wendy and Denny's favorite local restaurants there. We ate burgers and fish sandwiches out on the deck while watching the million dollar yachts and catamarans sail by. After lunch, we drove to the public beach to put our toes in the ocean. We relaxed on the pristine sand for about 90 minutes before we had to make our way back home because there were dinner plans ahead.




The friends who we met on Sunday were having a birthday party for one of their own, and we were invited for dinner and cake. It was a rowdy, fun evening sharing a delicious meal and fellowship with their wonderful friends. By the time I got back home for the night, I was bushed, but well satiated.

Friday was a lazy day. Hanna and I walked in the morning, and finally saw an alligator swimming near the shore. Luckily, he was more interested in the lady alligators than Hanna and me, and we watched in safety.


I went to the Allyns late in the afternoon for dinner. Denny grilled marinated chicken and Wendy made roasted potato packets and salad. We topped it off with cake and ice cream I had brought from the store. We said our goodbyes and passed around hugs before I left.

My original plan was to leave Meaher the next morning and begin making my way toward Paducah, but rain on Saturday morning and a tornado watch and thunderstorm forecast for that evening made me delay my departure by a day. Hanna and I tucked into Minnie and we rode out the storm among the trees, listening to the wind, rain and thunder from 7:30 p.m. until nearly 3:00 a.m. It was a little scary being in an RV in that weather, but the worst of the storm went north of us, and we were fine.

It was bittersweet to pack up and pull out on Sunday morning. I had a fantastic week, visiting with my dear friends, and being treated to so many wonderful sights, trips and meals. I hope it's not six years again before our next get together. Thank you, Wendy and Denny! It was a blast, and I love you both to the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment