Wednesday, June 15, 2016

My latest ... and longest ... camping trip, so far - Part 1

I wrapped up a few chores at home and struck out for high country on Sunday morning (the 5th). I drove up to Payson, and this time I turned right on highway 260 instead of keeping north toward Pine. Twenty-nine miles later, I pulled into the Rim Campground where Dale had a big double space staked out for us. His Minnie was parked about ten feet from the edge of the Mogollon Rim, and I positioned mine at right angles to his. Before doing anything else, we made sure to get Hanna's tether staked in a spot where she couldn't slip over the edge.

We wandered up the road exploring the area a bit, and then relaxed in our camp space waiting for Richard and Dianna to arrive.  They were out on one of their 4-wheel driving expeditions, and ended up at our campground with hot dogs and potato salad. We had a weinie roast and enjoyed a few hours of chit chat before they headed back up the road before too many elk ventured out.

The next two days went like this: Take a 2-3 mile hike in the morning, come back and have lunch, then read or watch TV or nap the afternoon away, take another 1-2 mile walk, sit outside again enjoying the breeze that came up over the rim, and finally retire into our respective motor homes for dinner, evening relaxation and bed. It was really hard work, but someone had to do it.

We watched the smoke of the Juniper fire south of us, and got updates from the experts at the Ranger Station (R&D). With several fires burning in the Tonto, Coconino and Apache-Sitgreaves forests, we felt pretty lucky not to have our pretty setting impacted by the smell of smoke or campfire restrictions.
 
On Wednesday morning, we both packed up and drove back into Payson, where we planned to dump and then meet up one last time at Walmart. I wanted to fill my fresh water tank with good potable water, so I stopped at Payson Campground RV Resort where they have a pay dump with water. After discovering it would cost me $10 to dump PLUS $10 for water, I chose just the water and decided to dump for free at the Giant Station. Once I got down there, Dale informed me that due to maintenance vehicles in the way, I wasn't going to be able to get my Minnie in there. He reminded me that Richard had said I could dump at the Ranger Station where they were if I need to, so that's what I decided to do.

Dale and I did our Walmart shopping and said good bye, then he was headed to Little Green Valley and I proceeded north on Hwy 87 to Blue Ridge. 

2 comments:

  1. The Rim Recreation area is a favorite place for me when it gets hot in AZ, but the terrible, washboard road to get there is starting to change my mind. Glad you had a nice relaxing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this!! you should be a travel writer. Can't wait to retire......Lori

    ReplyDelete